This week, we welcome Ain’t Too Proud - The Life and Times of The Temptations’ Jamari Johnson Williams to the Main Stem and learn about his journey toward making his Broadway debut.
1. What is your name and hometown?
Jamari Johnson Williams from Gifford, FL
2. What is your role/track in your Broadway debut?
I’m a new male swing! Specifically covering Eddie, Melvin, David and others.
3. How did you find out you had booked the part?
I literally got the phone call at work and broke down crying on a Brooklyn sidewalk. I never returned.
4. What's been the most surprising thing about preparing to perform the show?
This show specifically calls for so much stamina and swag. It won a Tony Award for Best Choreography for a reason - these boys do not stop twirling. I definitely can’t wait to be in the best shape of my life ! And my God, the book! Author Dominique Morisseau really outdid herself. From the dialect choices to the heartbreaking scenes. It’s a full journey.
5. What are you looking forward to most about your experience on Broadway?
The growth. I’m stretched in all possible directions. And though at times it can feel overwhelming, I have truly the most prepared, welcoming team that has made it known they got my back. That’s all I can ask for.