Today on our blog, we welcome The Lion King ensemblist Pearl Khewzi to Broadway and learn about her journey to the Great White Way:
1. What's your name and hometown?
My name is Pearl Khwezi, and I am from Margate, which is a small town on the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
2. What is your role/track in your Broadway debut?
I’m part of the ensemble. and my track is the 'One by One' female soloist.
3. How did you find out you had booked the part?
I found out that I had booked the part while on vacation in Valencia, Spain. I randomly refreshed my emails and there it was, an offer to do what I love on Broadway. No words can describe how that felt!
4. What's been the most surprising thing about preparing to perform the show?
The most surprising thing to me was how different the stage is from what I was used to. I was in the Spanish production of The Lion King, El Rey Leon, so the change in language was also really exciting.
5. What are you looking forward to most about your experience on Broadway?
There is so much to look forward to but for now the next thing on my to-do list is my Nala debut, as I am preparing to be an understudy!